Dentures are a boon to patients who have lost more than just a few teeth. When a patient has lost almost all their teeth, it would be highly difficult and inappropriate to replace them using dental bridges or implants. Hence, we suggest patients go for dentures as it is easier to replace them in one go. Moreover, dentures offer several advantages that their alternatives do not.
What are dentures?
Dentures are made from a combination of ceramic and acrylic. Visually, a denture would look perfectly like a set of teeth supported by the gums. Ceramic is used to fabricate the teeth whereas acrylic is used to fabricate the gums. Patients who have lost almost all teeth can get them restored using dentures. They will be able to bite and chew food just like they used to before.
Advantages of choosing dentures
- Dentures are removable prosthetics. They can be taken off whenever you have to go to bed or feel you need a break from them.
- The aesthetics of dentures is excellent. Each tooth can be fabricated to perfection and attached to the denture effectively. Even the acrylic used to replicate the gums can be customized to perfection.
- Dentures offer great durability. With regular use, they hardly wear and would easily last for more than a couple of years.
- Since they are customized according to the contour of your mouth, they would offer a seamless fit. The chances of the dentures slipping off from the mouth are next to none.
- The functionality of the mouth would be restored to normal using dentures.
- The face would look fuller when the patient puts on the denture. In fact, the patient tends to look younger after putting on the denture.
When you visit our practice for a consultation, we will screen the mouth to check for factors that could affect the treatment. If you qualify as a candidate for dentures, we would go ahead with the procedure. A highly precise digital mold of the gums and ridges will be taken to act as a reference while fabricating the dentures. This data will be sent to a dental laboratory where the fabrication takes place.
Once the dentures are ready, the dentist will place them in your mouth and check whether or not it is fitting perfectly. In case any adjustments are to be made, the dentist takes care of them and makes sure you get dentures that fit perfectly. The dentures may have to be altered once in a few months if you feel their fit has changed.
Call us at (813) 661-1600 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Elizabeth Perez and we’ll be able to guide you further.